Friday, October 7, 2011

Archon Con-Sketches

The upside of working for yourself, is that you can leave the office for a couple of days and meet new people and do new art. The downside is that you come back and there's work that needs to be done and your only employee wasn't there to do it. Ha-ha-ha!

Soooo... Archon was a lot of fun, but I'm still catching up on work so this is gonna be short. Mostly pictures. I still haven't processed most of the photos I took, so I'll get to that in the next couple of days. For now, I'm focusing on what I did while I was there. I had a table in Artists Alley this year, and spent my weekend talking to peoples and drawing pictures.

Here's my table set up on the first day of the con. We were told that we'd have 8ft tables, but only got 6 footers. Sometimes you just have to make do, but fortunately the person next to me never showed up so I ended up expanding onto his table.

The first commission on Friday. She had a printout to use as reference, and pretty much told me to do what I wanted...

This girl's ferret had just died, so she wanted a picture of him with angel wings and a halo. I always hope that what I make comes close to what's in peoples heads, because this stuff is kind of important to them.

There were a couple of drawings that I did just to kill time...
Peter Venkman from the Ghostbusters.

Chunk from the Goonies.

Mal from Firefly. I'm glad that this one ended up finding a home before the weekend was over.

I apparently have a slight obsession with superheros eating hamburgers. I think there's just something about people who are action oriented doing normal things.

Right before closing up on Sunday, three girls from the St Louis Science Center who were there promoting the new Star Trek Exhibit came and commissioned 3 drawings of themselves...

As Star Trek characters,

Goonies,

and riding dinosaurs. I had a lot of fun working on these.

That's it for now, so until next time, take care and be good!
Your friend,
Jeffrey

3 comments:

Keith said...

The riding dinos is great. The colours are really... juicy. But eating the hamburger is my favorite. You make him look somewhat guilty, like he was munching on the job, like there was a global catastrophe going on just around the corner, and he knows it, but that burger is soooo gooood.

Nance said...

I wanna be a Goonie. And I want a picture of my grandson, Liam, as Wolverine. And as Captain America.

Despite the recession, my brain still wants all the cool, sparkly things it sees.

Red Herring Jeff said...

Keith-Thanks! The markers are pretty vibrant, but I think that one might've gotten a little oversaturated when I scanned it in. Yeah, that burger is pretty much his world at the moment. Ha-ha-ha!

Nance-I know the feeling. I remember back at the start of all this recession business seeing a Ben Stein interview where he said we'd all be "spending like drunken sailors again before we knew it." I don't know about that, but there's still plenty of sparklies out there to ogle.