Friday, December 3, 2010

Daily Life: Wrapping up the year, and ramping for 2011

Sorry for no post last week... I got sick on Thanksgiving and spent the day on the couch watching "Golden Girls". I don't know what it is about that show, maybe it's because it was what was on during the day when I was a kid, so that's just what I watched when I was sick as a kid. At any rate, I still watch it when I'm sick, and it helps me feel better. Then the weekend was just crazy...

So, you get a double batch of drawings this week! YAY! The final four pencil drawings (well okay, three pencils and one ink) for the Daily life Calendar.
September is one of the four months out of the year that it's truly comfortable hanging out in the garage. Crystal doesn't understand why Justin likes skull pipes so much. It's just because they're cool. I think this is not only a pretty accurate depiction of us hanging out in the garage, but also a fairly (at least to me) interesting study in our different emotional stances... I always feel like they are just so much more "with it" than I am. On the other hand... I can blow smoke rings, and Justin can't.

In October, we go to the pumpkin patch. A couple of things about this drawing. It is the first time I've used Abby's Nana in a Daily Life picture, and I was a little nervous about it... Don't know why. I'm not sure what to do with her left arm, it looks like she should be holding a cane, but that's just silly. I'll just move it down and have her holding her purse. Amy says that Olivia is too small. She is, but I think I'm going to leave her that way, because she's just so dang cute.

We bake, and bake, and bake... one of the nice things about being at home all the time, is that you start making things, and that just plain enriches life. Abby is a very enthusiastic helper, which sometimes necessitates reminding her that some things are just too dangerous for a two and a half year old. I realized while I was drawing this that I have never not had a tea kettle on the stove, and that led me to wonder how common that actually was. It seems like everybody should have one, though I'm sure they don't... also yes, I normally do kneel on the floor when I'm dealing with stuff in the oven. I just feel more stable that way.
The Christmas morning illustration. I've done a pretty good job (I think) of avoiding the holidays in these illustrations. Christmas morning however, is not only my fourth favorite morning of the year, but it's also one of the funniest, story-wise. Sorry, again I inked it before I scanned it.

So, I know I'm running further and further behind on these, and cutting it pretty close, but they will be done by this time next week, and then we can all breath a sigh of relief (or at least I can), take a sip of hot apple cider (or cocoa, or eggnog, or rum... whatever), and get to work on making the presents for the kids. I hope you all have a great week and are enjoying the cool late autumn weather and the Advent season as much as I am. Until next time, take care and be good.
Your friend,
Jeffrey

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The garage drawing is great - thanks. Can't wait for the finished product. It will be fun to share the calendars with my family. There is something very special about your Daily Life drawings - they're funny, insightful, thoughtful and satisfy a very harmless yet voyeristic personal glimpse into your life. These drawings do and say more than a personal letter or regular update every could to show what's going on in your life. Keep it up. -Justin-

Nance said...

I am so charmed! I knew I would be. I left a response about your DL drawings on your kind comment that I'll copy here:

"Along those lines, it is your more personal work in the Daily Life cartoons that most appeals to me. Those are more than cartoons: they lie somewhere between the nostalgic realism of Rockwell and the tongue-in-cheek line drawings of James Thurber, and with a similar kind of fond humor shown in both."

I would add that you have managed to make this blogger feel attached to your family through your images...you have built relationship through art. It may not be your primary goal, but it is the outcome, nevertheless.

When you're ready, please also post instructions for how you would like the calendar introduced on a blog, how we can obtain some, etc.

The garage image is a bit of genius--unexpected, truly amusing. Adding Nana is a great idea; I've done those pumpkin patches, clutching my purse. Is mine the last purse-clutching generation?

Christmas. I really did LOL. The big Ta-da moment, perfectly rendered.

Josh Burnett said...

These are charming, as always! :)

Also, I wanted to let you know that I gave you a plug (specifically for fratboys, and overall awesomeness in general) on the the podcast I do with some friends (mtmjetpack.com). I linked Red Herring in the latest show-notes.

Red Herring Jeff said...

Sorry it takes me so long to comment back!
Justin: Thank you so much!

Nance:I talk a lot about community, and I think this is part of it. I'd like to think that relating personal experiences resonates with people, and I'm very happy to hear that you've developed a fondness for us. Amy was telling me the other day that she needs to "friend" you on FB, because she thinks you're pretty wonderful too!

Josh: That's awesome! Thanks! Have you seen "How to Train Your Dragon" yet? It reminded me of you.