Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What You Talkin' About?: Denise Brunkus

I think drawing kids is hard. In spite of this, I do it often, both at work and at home. I also am always on the lookout for good art featuring kids. Last night, Abby and I were at the Hobby Lobby scoping some art supplies, and a copy of "Junie B. First Grader: Boss of Lunch" caught my eye.

Wow... What a great illustration. The little girl has a definate sense of character, and the drawing is simple but so full of life. I wasn't able to find very much information on the illustrator, Denise Brunkus, but here's what I was able to dig up.

Denise Brunkus has illustrated more than sixty books for children, most notably the bestselling Junie B. Jones series by Barbara Park, Read All About It! by Laura Bush and Jenna Bush, and Charlie Hits It Big by Deborah Blumenthal. Denise is basically a neat person, so adding smudges and smears to the art for Sloppy Joe was an unexpected thrill. She lives in Massachusetts.

Mostly, I just wanted to share these fun little illustrations with you tonite.

Until next time, take care and be good.
Your friend
Jeffrey

No comments: