Sunday, September 13, 2009

Finished Abigail wallpaper.

I've decided that I need a name for the Sunday section of the blog, since I have one for the other three days. I like the way, on the other days of the week I can write "Daily Life: ..." and then the subtitle for the post. Sundays it always seems out of context. If any of you all have an idea for the name of this segment, let me know.So I finished the Abigail promo piece. It sort of evolved as it went, and I learned a ton about Photoshop working on it. I LOVE layer masks. There was a time when I didn't see the point of them, but one of the great things about layer masks is that you can effectively delete a portion of your drawing without actually losing it, so you can always go back, and re-edit it. Another awesome thing about layer masks is that using a gradient on them, you can fade part of one layer into another. It just opens so many design possibilities.
I was almost finished working on this, (had converted it to a jpg, and set it as my desktop so that I could consider it for awhile... viewing the image out of the context of the actual editing software often helps to define problem areas. I guess because you can't focus your attention on just one area, you only get the big picture.) and decided to repaint the face. I looked up some reference pictures, and got to work. I redefined the planes of her face and fixed a lot of the yellow tone in her skin (adding more purple and red to it) And totally redid her mouth (Reshaped the lips, defined the upper teeth, and added lower ones.) I also cut out one of her eyes and resized and repositioned it, because it was pretty big. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it all. I realize I should probably go back in and work on her sweater and shoes a little more, but I'm not really sure how big of a deal that is.
Well, that's it for today. Tomorrow's a new daily life, so until then take care and be good.
Your friend
Jeffrey

No comments: