Sunday, May 18, 2008

Self Portrait 39 of 100: There Is No Holy Grail

Back to graphite. ... Here I'm using a 2B pencil with a 4B for final clean up. I talked to my friend Andrew (ThatFat Kid) on mothers day, and we talked a lot about art... sketchbooks, and design. There are a lot of artists out there that we admire, and It almost seems like magic, the work they do. It's not though... It's hard work. I'd like to do a page a day in my sketchbook. That doesn't seem unreasonable. Most days I do nothing. I do have other responsibilities, but that's not really a good enough reason to not get some personal work done.

This is the gist of the conversation... Those people are the artists they are because of the things they gave up. And because of the hard work they put into it.

There is no Holy Grail. There is no book that will give you the answers you need to suddenly, magically be better. There is no Video, no Pen, Pencil, Brush or Software application. The quest is worthwhile, I guess... But the goal is back at home.
Sometimes I get tired and disillusioned. I don't know what I want to do, or even where I want to be.

Jeffrey

No comments: