Thursday, October 9, 2008

Self Portrait 51 of 100: Some thoughts on character

So I've been doing some thinking about what I want this blog to be, and where I want to go with it. Both in general (I guess this could be a forever thing) and in particular, what I'm doing with the rest of this set of 100. It doesn't seem like a huge undertaking to say that you're going to do 100 of something, but it IS bigger than I'd realized. So, at any rate, where my head is at right now is that I would like to finish out this set by doing a little self exploration (Not that way, sickos).

Basically exploring the idea of SELF as a character. It's actually something that we all do everyday, anyway. We all have a self image (Matrix style), things we see ourselves doing. We stand in front of the closet every morning and pick out clothes, and there's a REASON we pick what we do. Environmental (it's cold out), contextual (I have a wedding to go to), practical (I don't want anybody to see my little weiner) or what ever... there's a reason we choose to look the way we do.

More than that though, is emotional stance. How many pictures have I seen or done that are basically "guy #3 standing in front of a wall dressed as an adventurer" that have no real sense of the character. What other things about him/her are there? Stance, expression, action, interaction, reaction, protraction, detraction...

The more I've thought about this, I've come to realize that the portraits in the first 50 that I enjoyed the most, think back on the most often, and am most pleased with the outcome, are the ones that have this idea of character. They are not just a straight on view of my blank face worrying over the details. I don't want this to be an artificial "project" type of thing, but I do want to make a concious effort to put more character into these drawings.

Thanks for looking, and for the comments! They really mean a lot. I'm going to try to knock out this weeks "Illustration Friday" this weekend so there should be another update soon. Until then, take care and be good!

Your friend
Jeffrey