Sunday, May 10, 2009

More WIPs... But not new ones, LOL!

This illustration is really becoming appropriate... I just looked back in the archive log, and it's been over two months since I posted any progress on it. It's so easy to move on to other projects, and lose a little focus. I promised in my last post that I would work in earnest towards finishing some of these other projects before I move on to more new ones. Sometimes, that kind of kills me... Ha-ha-ha! I have so many ideas for things I want to draw and write about, but it doesn't always seem like I have time. And then by the time I get to them, my interest has waned somewhat.

This is really something that I've been struggling with, and I know that others have too. Finding time to get the personal work that will move your career (and life) forward, in a world that seems to fill in all of those gaps for us. It's partly about discipline... being able to say "No." to things like facebook and TV sitcoms. These things have their place, but mustn't consume all of the free time we have. It's also partly about realizing that we can't do it all in one go, (much as I'd like to... I know I don't have that kind of stamina) but should instead set aside a lot of little blocks of time to work. If it carries over and we don't want to stop, that's fine. It's much harder though, to commit to a large block of time than to a small one.

At any rate... I can feel this post turning into a ramble, so I'll stop there and talk a little bit about the work. I added the grass and started working on the garden wall this week. I'm not totally sure how I feel about it yet. I think there are still some kinks to work out of it, but progress has been made, and I'm glad of that! LOL.

I also did a little work on this illustration. Fleshed out the dad a lot. I think he's mostly done, except for his kite. Next I'll work a bit more on the girl. I'm thinking, instead of doing a painted background, I might put them in a vectored one. I'm not totally sold on that idea yet, but I definitely want some vectored elements in there.


I'm going to be starting up with the "What you talkin' about?" Wednesdays again this week. I feel pretty lazy for missing them pretty much all last month, but I think part of it was that I'm not totally settled on the new format for this blog... I sometimes worry that there isn't enough of my own work in here. I guess the best remedy for that, is to start doing more work and posting it, huh? We'll see...

Until next time, take care and be good! Talk at you Wednesday!
Your friend
Jeffrey

No comments: